Monday, March 07, 2005

KIM CHOO NONYA BAK CHANG

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Rice dumplings prepared Nonya style is what this store is famous for. I came here because of my site visit of Joo Chiat Road. Kim Choo has a variety of rice dumplings for sale. I decided to go for the small dumplings which are wrapped with 1 leaf only because I wanted to try them all as well as not a fond lover of 'bak chang'.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The only thing I don't like about having rice dumplings is the confirmation of making your fingers and hands extra oily. The handling will be done if only I can confirm that I can wash my hand with soap or handwashing lotion after enjoying it. If not, forget about it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Once you are there, you already notice those take-away boxes ready for orders. There is a special free delivery service if you order 20 boxes and above.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

They are basically selling Peranakan food so you expect something like the Malacca style too. Apart from rice dumplings, they also sell pineapple tart, soon kueh and otak/otah at the place.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I bought all four varieties that they have: purple, red, orange and blue. I also bought their otak/otah.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I started off eating the shrimp with sambal belachan dumpling. It is one of my favourites. I love it so much!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then, the Nonya dumpling is their signature 'bak chang'. It has a sweet flavour of pork. I love it as well as it is cut so fine that one thought one is having meat floss. I love it as well.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the salty type which we also have in Sibu. Home made by our family or relatives. Chestnuts, mushrooms and lean meat with sauce and spices is a very ordinary standard meat 'bak chang'. Salty bak chang is what Kim Choo called it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I have no idea what is the difference with this one. It tasted just like the Nonya sweet pork dumpling to me. Well, the owner told me there is even a squid type which I was really looking forward to because I love 'sotong'. To my disappointment, I don't think I tasted it!!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The freshly home-made grilled mackerel otak/otah is nothing special to me. I don't feel the extra OOOMPH! it provides to stand out special from the rest. Nevertheless, it tastes alright to my requirements.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Btw, otak/otah is fishcake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home