Thursday, November 17, 2005

FOOTBALL: FINALLY, SEE YOU IN DEUTSCHLAND!

The final list of 32 teams of next year's World Cup is done. I was surprised Australia went through but their citizens must be celebrating in the streets! Trinidad & Tobago also managed to book a place while Turkey almost got the ticket but was too late in the comeback against Switzerland. Spain just need to at least not lose badly with all the advantage in the world from the first leg and they managed a draw, which is more than enough. Czech Republic too won again to book the final 5 places of the playoffs.

Congratulations to them all! See you all in Germany 2006! Not literally since I don't have any tickets but I wish I have. Sigh!

It's only Thursday but all eyes are set on the weekend gigantic matches, especially the one in Spain.

Real Madrid Vs. Barcelona

Every season I will try not to miss at least one of the clashes so I hope my friendly neighbourhood coffeeshop will show this match! I for one am still very worried with Madrid's injury list so this is not the best preparations they have for the big clash.

Chelsea Vs. Newcastle United

I will like to watch this match as well if I can as an Alan Shearer fan but the captain will most probably be not playing. I hope Newcastle will play out a good match eventhough it is to be played in Stamford Bridge.

Roma Vs. Juventus

This match will be interesting ever since Totti get personal with Fabio Capello. I'm sure Totti wants to win it real bad but Juventus are not easy to be beaten.

Both Milan clubs will be playing opponents who were bankrupt and on the verge on bankruptcy. Fiorentina especially is interesting now that they are 3rd on the table. Inter need to win badly to get back to the top three of the table to chase Juventus and Milan.

Fiorentina VS. AC Milan

Inter Milan VS. Parma

Jose Mourinho

It is always nice to see what the person people hate and love- Mr. Mourinho has to say. They are playing Newcastle United so it is not surprising to hear something from him. He surprisingly praised Michael Owen.

"Michael Owen and Newcastle were major protagonists in the transfer window and the scenario was perfect for both of them," he said.

"A Real Madrid striker who was also an important player and automatic choice for the English national team. His previous club, Liverpool, in the picture and Newcastle in search of success."

The controversial Portuguese coach then went on to express his bewilderment at Liverpool's lack of enthusiasm in trying to woo Owen back to Anfield, as he continued: "Liverpool waited until the last available minute to conclude their summer deals."

Well, probably he is just jealous of Liverpool's success last season in Europe.

Ruud Gullit

Finally, some comments from Gullit to Henry.

"I'm from Holland. I went to Italy and then to England."

"The experiences are the most important experiences in my life."

"The fans would not be happy about it but it's also about you as a person."

"If you get opportunities to go abroad and see other championships, you can't blame him for that."

"I think Barcelona will fit him also."

Of course the Dutch has the tradition and history of love affair with Barcelona. For me, Henry deserves the Champions League medal so I personally feel that he should leave Arsenal to a potential Champions League winning team. I definitely don't want to upset all Arsenal fans and I know how precious Henry is to Arsenal but Arsenal have to seriously be able to win the Champions League to make him stay any longer. For me, it is for the same reason that convinced Steven Gerrard to stay in Liverpool. Arsenal must do the same what Liverpool can do or else risk losing him. He is not everything but he is surely the most prized Arsenal player at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home