Friday, December 02, 2005

ASICS GEL-KAYANO XI

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

TITANIUM LIQUID SILVER/CHILI
EURO 43.5
CM 27.5
US 9 ½
PVC FREE
MADE IN CHINA

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Probably the many days spent on Japanese drama has convinced me that Asics is the only brand out there when it comes to running / walking. I recalled every competitive race I had been involved before in the past. We used a lot of Asics spike shoes. The Nike shoes, for the first time I ever wore it down to a competition, is the first ever time I fall on the track. I am a short distance runner taking races from 100M, 200M and 400M. I can still recall that 4X400M race. I’m the first runner and I was 1metre short of the finish line when I fall down. Still, I was 2nd then and my team managed to win in the end because I have very strong 2nd, 3rd and 4th runner. They are all from the earlier generation and I was already in my last year in high school. Semi-retired, they could at that time, probably all run faster than me.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After that, I swear to myself I will never use Nike running / walking shoes ever again. That is also my last competitive race and I had since then never buy a sports shoes ever again. Until now, I decided to start jogging and running again little by little. Thus, I went to Queensway to shop for a decent pair of shoes. After that tragic fall, I told myself I must buy something really good. I believed the reason I fell was the inability to detect my feet onto the ground. I didn’t even feel the paces I was in. The Air technology just messed it up.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The first character means BIG THIEF, which can mean ROBBBER and the second character means WILD. Thus, it means Wild Robber. I guess it means when you wear it, you can run as fast as a wild robber? Hehe! So lame.

I looked at New Balance and my friends told me never to get it as it is classified as the Singapore Army standard shoes. Reebok is almost dead, I always hate Fila’s design and Adidas shoes nowadays seem so fragile they can tear apart anytime. I almost decided to go for their Customize Your Own Shoes design system but the price is ridiculous for an amateur who don’t run as much now.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The price given was S$100 more than the usual commercial standard retailed pair. There are two models, S$144 and S$199 (somewhere around this price range) and the customization will cost you S$244 and S$299. It is interesting that you go through 3 stages. First stage is a machine that measures the exact width and length of your feet. The second stage is a machine that measures all the pressure points of your feet so you will see this plan view of you feet with colour coding depending on the intensity of the pressure applied. The last stage is the design of the shoes, whether you want your name with/without number to be added onto the shoes design.

My budget was below S$200. I finally ended up with a pair of Asics Kayano although I keep complaining in my heart that the design is so boring. In fact, all the shoes look almost the same with just different details and colours. Since every single human being told me they are good when it comes to running / walking, I decided to buy it. My marathon friend did talk a lot about Saucony before but they are very limited pairs around and I don’t really like the designs.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In the end, I settled for the first ever pair of shoes in my life which has red colour on it! It sure is abit gay but I was left without a choice since the other pair was solid shiny yellow. Yellow to me is more gay than red! Whatever it is, I tried the pair on and was feeling really comfortable with the GEL cushioning system. If Reebok uses the PUMP, Nike uses the Air, then Asics is always famous for using the Gel. Unlike other brands, this brand is a Asian brand. It is a Japanese brand.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

They take pride to be named as the only shoes recommended by Sports Medicine Australia. It is also probably the only pair of shoes with a lot of 3M Scotchlite reflective material which enhances your safety at night and in low visibility situations by creating a bright image that motorists can more readily see from a distance. It is funny though that they seem to target motorists. Perhaps study had shown that motorists tend to run down joggers who jog at night? Whatever the reason, it is aimed at reflecting light back to the light source.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Asics also incorporates their technology called SpEVA, which is used as a midsole material with “bounce back” properties. Well, like a spring I guess. It bounces back quickly in preparation for the next foot strike with its special polymers breaking down at a slow rate to increase durability. Apart from that, they have the DuoSole durable lightweight outsole. This technology offers weight reduction, flexibility, traction and durability to its outsole construction.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Finally, of all the systems, Gel cushioning system is their ultimate system. They describe our human foot to be punished daily by tremendous forces of impact during all athletic activities. The Gel cushioning system helps to absorb impact by protecting the foot from these harmful forces. The ability is to absorb shock by dissipating vertical impact and dispersing it into a horizontal plane. It has a variety of forms of absorbing shock when it is placed in the forefoot and/or rearfoot of the shoe’s midsole.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I find the shoes abit too reflective eventhough I know it is for the sake of safety. I can also tell that it is a very well made running / walking shoes. Most people tell me the lifespan of a pair of shoes under constant running is around only 1 year. It is a very shocking comparison to my Airwalk sketch shoes which lasted me 10 years now and still going strong. The Asics sole has this transparent plastic material which I fear will spoil easily after a few runs. The salesperson assured me that it is durable enough. Oh well, I can’t wait to get this baby out for a spin! I mean run! It’s time I start running again after all these years. Hopefully, Asics brings back the love for running for me again.

This pair of shoes costs me S$184 after a discount from the retail price of S$240.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home